Re: Diatonic/modal transposition function

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Diatonic/modal transposition function
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:13:49 +0100

Le lundi 29 décembre 2008 à 15:44 +0100, Hans Aberg a écrit :
> Is this synced with the work by Graham Breed, who has worked on
> microtonal extensions? - See the developers list.

I assume you refer to "Mictrotonal support" thread, which is kind-of a
follow-up of "Diatonic notation system" (traffic on -devel is so high
these days).

This work is not synced at all with Graham's work, but it tries not to
naively assume any temperament; in current state it only works with
7-notes scales, but the arithmetics on alteration works with any kind
alteration, semi-tones or microtonal alterations.

BTW I'm sure it is feasible to extend these transposition functions to
scales with other lengths assuming equal semi-tones temperament (E12)
(e.g. for Messiaen's modes), but I'm not knowledgeable enough about
scales and modes definitions you discussed with Graham on -devel to tell
how the functions I wrote should be extended to support these scales.

Best,
John