LilyPond Grand Organization Project: temporary jobs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: LilyPond Grand Organization Project: temporary jobs
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 01:41:18 -0800

Project website: http://percival-music.ca/gop/
(includes these emails)

     LilyPond GOP - Temporary jobs

LilyPond needs help with a number of short-term tasks.

Jobs for normal users
---------------------

*Website redesign
    One of the main goals of GOP is to redesign the website. We
need help with the new website, in particular:

       1. Rewriting the "music engraving" essay: we have two
essays (one on the website, one in LM 1.1). They need to be
merged, hopefully without losing any valuable info.
       2. "Editors" page: nice descriptions, with screenshots, of
various editors that are suitable for lilypond. This will either
require one person installing a whole bunch of software on a whole
bunch of operating systems, or a lot of people all sending in
their own setups.
       3. "Nifty features" page: show off neat things you can do
in lilypond.
       4. CSS / web standards: everybody knows that I'm strictly a
"substance" kind of guy. I write content in vi; other people can
fiddle with the "style" or "presentation". Of course, we need
those "other people", otherwise the new website will look very
boring indeed (albeit informative and easy to navigate)!
       5. Closely related to the previous point: graphical design
and layout for the website. I'm not a graphics person.
       6. Very closely related to the previous two points: a
technically-oriented person to tweak texi2html to produce the
output we want. Existing perl knowledge is a plus, but I think
it's all pretty basic perl so you could learn it on the job.

*Documentation
    Although GDP (the Grand Documentation Project) did great work,
there's still tasks remaining. The LM needs a bit of work (both
proofreading, and finishing the last few sections); NR 1-2 still
isn't finished; NR 3 and 4 are in the middle of being processed,
and the AU also needs some attention.
    Another great example: there's some really nifty stuff in the
input/* directory (thinking of wilhemus.ly in particular), but I'm
not certain if those tricks are in LSR or the NR yet. Integrate
them.

Jobs for advanced users or developers

*Useful tricks
    We all have our own predefined tweaks and scheme functions.
Clean them up, create a regtest and documentation, and get them
added to lilypond itself! Now everybody can benefit from that
specially-tuned compound time signature function that you spend
four hours creating!

Cheers,
- Graham