Re: using Ramdisk

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: using Ramdisk
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 01:05:02 +0100

Le dimanche 04 janvier 2009 à 09:33 +0100, Thomas Fehr a écrit :
> I'd like to use Lilypond in an interactive music learning program where
> short response times are needed.  I think running Lilypond on a ramdisk
> could help. Does anyone know how to do that?

I'm not sure a ramdisk will increase performance much, but it is surely
much work.  If you want short response times, use a machine with enough
RAM, so that even if first invocation is a bit slow, further invocations
will use disk cache in RAM.  512 MB of RAM is the bare minimum on a
modern GNU/Linux with a fat desktop like Gnome or KDE, but several
gigabytes are not too much if you run big or many ly files, or if you
use a lot of programs simulatneously.

HTH,
John