Re: No menu

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: No menu
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:34:15 +0100

Am 13.01.2009 um 22:06 schrieb Julio Casares:

Dear all

Thanks for your support. It is really nice to see there are people taking care of the users.

I have some comments from myside:

1) I managed to make it worked but following the first of the ways recommended in your help
Good deal.

2) A friend of mine - with same configuration - was using the method with the apple script. She is no longer using it but directly the application. And it does work. She does not know how.
That's unfortunate that she doesn't know how it works. But, now that I've tried other methods, I think that the default text entry program that comes with lilypond is rather lacking and there are much better ways of using the program.

3) If there is not a easy way I think is better to stop here our discussions. I do not feel comfortable if you waste your time with me. I will live with the apple script method.
You may want to also look into downloading jEdit and lilypondtool. They seem to be a very useful way of using lilypond.

4) Have you thought to develop a GUI for the application (similar to TexTshop)?
Incidentally, there is a lilypond plugin for TeXShop, but it's not maintained, and there have to be adjustments made to get it working properly.

Being a normal mac user for the last 5 years, I am not used to deal with so many technical details. For me it is difficult to install and the application is  not definately elegant. But the outputs in PDF and the simplicity are very good.
I've tried Finale and Sibelius. There are very expensive and not easy to use. That's why I came to lilypond. I think, if the shottcomings are well addressed, there is a huge market/group of users waiting for it
Only five years? I've actually never owned a computer that wasn't made by apple, and lilypond was the first GNU project that I can say I'd directly and intentionally used. I agree that the learning curve is very steep. Especially if one is just a regular computer user, who writes music, and is dissatisfied with sibelius/finale. However, once I understood the logic behind how lilypond works (lilypond just processes text files, you can write the text file with any program that can save a text file, and just use lilypond to turn it into a musical score), I realised how unnecessary a GUI editor for lilypond is.

To be honest, I actually find GNU nano to be the easiest way to enter my musical scores. It comes installed with osx, meets lilypond's very minimal requirements for a text editor, it saves files as UTF-8 encoding, and because it runs in a terminal, I already have the terminal open for when I need to use lilypond to process a file. Nano is very easy, very straightforward, has wonderful multiple-language support, and does wonderful lilypond-helpful things like automatic text indenting, matching bracket searching, easy search and replace, and even has syntax hilighting. (So things like \score and %comments can show up colored).

I agree with you as well that sibelius and finale are expensive and not easy to use (I could never figure out how to enter music in sibelius), but as long as the user doesn't have to read anything, they will always be preferred by the average user over a program like lilypond or LaTeX, where, in order to use the program, you have to read the manual, and learn how the program works. I try to always remember, just because something is good, doesn't make it successful.