Re: tenuto/tie collision

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: tenuto/tie collision
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:37:38 -0600

Eric Flesher wrote:
Greetings,

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, although my search of the forum turns up negative: It seems that in some instances the program will default to a tie placement such that it is bound to collide with certain articulations, such as tenuto marks. It appears as if ties are lowered for notes on spaces (e.g. the B5), yet they are higher for notes on lines (the 5). I would imagine this is to avoid tie endpoints on lines when such notes appear within the staff, yet one ends up with two different tie appearances, i.e. ties wholly between noteheads (the first measure) and ties above and just slightly off-centered from noteheads (the second measure). The previous would correspond, for instance, to Vinci's recommendations for tie endpoints (see _Die Notenschrift_), whereas the latter corresponds to Gardner Read.

Can one _easily_ override the problem in the latter measure, without having to tweak tie end-points or offsets? (I have done both in the past.) The ideal would be to create a global behavior in which ties appear either a) wholly between noteheads (this would require offsetting the left tie end-point to the right of augmentation dots), as per Vinci, or b) to raise ties so that they appear above tenuto marks. This latter occurs above the A5 with the augmentation dot, and I'm not sure why only it has the raised tie, although I suppose it has something to do with the dot itself.

Thanks,
EF

You might try the tweaks covered in Learning Manual 4.5.3 "Real Music Example," which has an instance of a tie that needs to be raised to avoid collision with something.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com