Re: bar "||" kills start-repeat

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: bar "||" kills start-repeat
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:37:18 +0100

Simon Bailey wrote:
so basically that paragraph is telling me to NOT use the manual repeat barlines and use \repeat volta instead.

The documentation uses a lot of different names for repeats. When you say "manual repeat barlines" it sounds as though you may not be distinguishing - manual barlines (inserted using \bar) - manual repeats (inserted using \set Score.repeatCommands)

When BarLines says "various repeat commands" the partially-initiated might think this means using the command "\repeat" in its several variations such as "volta", "unfold", etc.
But I think it is referring to NR 1.4.1.[1]  Specifically, the two sections on
- Normal repeats [2], which are applied to { ... }
- Manual repeat marks, which are inserted inline where branching can occur.
So instead of "manual barlines", have a look at "manual repeats".

[1] http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Long-repeats
[2] aka "standard", and maybe thought of as "automatic" because not "manual".
Cheers,
Robin