\Paper syntax question

From: Padmavyuha
Subject: \Paper syntax question
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:27:47 +0000

I'm struggling (as usual with new computer languages) with learning the syntax of the lilypond language.

I can't seem to find in the manuals or reference a clear explanation of how to set the left-margin value in a .ly file. The closest I got (or so I thought) was:

\paper { left-margin = 50\mm }

which is what the reference doc says, but it doesn't have any effect on the margin. There seem to be many different ways to trigger any particular variable, dependant on where you're putting it in the hierarchy, and I can't figure out how this one is supposed to work.

Help greatly appreciated...

- Padmavyuha