Re: How to tie a note in a chord to a note outside a chord

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: How to tie a note in a chord to a note outside a chord
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:14:10 +0100

Am 07.02.2009 um 15:50 schrieb Jayaratna:

Dear subscribers,

I am inputting some very complicated polyphonic music for keyboard. Maybe this is a newbie idiotic question, but I cannot understand how to input these two bars: the problem is printing the tied A across the measures while keeping the second one in the same chord with the upper C. This does not
seem to work:

  <<{\stemUp c2^~ c4}\\{\stemDown g4 \stemUp a4_~ a}>>

nor this:

  <<{\stemUp c2~}\\{\stemDown g4 a_~}>> <c a>4

You'll want the section in the documentation on Explicitly instantiating voices. I don't remember if it's in the Learning Manual or Notation Reference, but exactly this issue is covered.