Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:06:37 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:21:17 -0500
> Von: David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden>
> An: address@hidden
> Betreff: Re: new chord symbol (for me, at least)

> Quick recognition is the whole purpose of chord names of this type.

True.

> C/e is much better than C/E, for obvious reasons, and Xx or Xbb or
> bs or cb chords and if necessary any slash basses with them must be
> respelled, because they will not and should not be found in chord
> books.

C/e makes sense to me to distinguish more between chords and single notes but I
don't think it's that important since slash chords are usually printed on
different levels so that a quick recognition is guaranteed as well.
I don't agree on the double sharp and flats and B# and Cb chords though.
Doublesharp or flat chords are most likely not to happen anyway but Cb is quite
common and I absolutely hate it when people replace it with B because it
doesn't make sense. If a piece is in Ebm Cb is the chord symbol to put not B,
that's off-key thinking.
So yeah, I think it's essential to write chord symbols according to the key,
even if it means to write double accidentals.

> The difference between jazz chords and sheet music chords is
> only in the accretion of cryptic symbols, of which the triangle is the
> worst.

But the triangle is the quickest way to display a major-seventh, is it not?
If you're for quick recognition than I don't understand why you disapprove of
the triangle.

Regards,

Tao