Re: Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: Need information about Lyric spacing in Lilypond
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:46:15 +0100

On 12 feb 2009, at 23:36, M Watts wrote:

fzimmerman wrote:
Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have two other computers in the house that have Windows on them (I run a home-based computer support business), so I
can use Sibelius on them if I have to...but I would rather switch to
Lilypond.

A very wise choice indeed.  The place to start reading for lyrics is:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vocal-music#Vocal-music

Lilypond's default spacing and alignment for lyrics is better than Finale and co., as described here
http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-3.html

Using Lilypond's \override, \set or \tweak commands, either on their own, or with \once, gives you complete control over where things go on your page.

Perhaps you can use the following template as a starting point. It only contains one voice and three stanzas, but you'll get the idea. In lilypond, you can break a line only when there is a bar line symbol printed. The command \bar"" makes sure that there is an invisible bar line. So the command sequence \bar "" \break ensures a line break at the desired point. There is no direct need for \override, \set or \tweak commands at this stage

HTH,
Arjan

%% start snippet
\version "2.12.1"

\header {
  title = "58 See How the Flowers are Arrayed"
tagline = #(string-append "Set by Bos Bros; engraved by LilyPond " (lilypond-version))
}

global = \notemode { \key c \major \time 4/4}

sopMusic = \notemode {
  \relative c' {
    \partial 4 c4
    e4. c8 c4 d |
    e4 f d d |
    d4. d8 d4 b |
    c4 d c \bar "" \break e |

    e4. c8 c4 d |
    e4 f d d |

%% end snip

chordProgression = \chordmode {
  \partial 4 s4
  c1 c4 f g2 |
  d2.:min e4:min |
  f4 g c2 |
  c1 |

}

sopTextA = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1."
See how the flow -- ers are ar -- rayed ac -- cord -- ing to the plan God made;
  To show His glo -- ry and His skill,
}

sopTextB = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2."
But when man fell, he lost this dres and felt his shame -- ful na -- ked -- ness.
  He then took leaves, and quick -- ly made
}

sopTextC = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "3."
And when God chose a Priest from men, to show the work of Christ in heav'n,
  His dress was ve -- ry dig -- ni -- fied

}

\score {
  <<
    \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
    \context ChordNames {
      \set chordChanges = ##t
      \chordProgression
    }
    \context Staff = sopranos {
      \context Voice = "sopranos" {
        << \global \sopMusic >>
    \context Lyrics = sopranos
    <<
      \lyricsto sopranos \new Lyrics { \sopTextA }
      \lyricsto sopranos \new Lyrics { \sopTextB }
      \lyricsto sopranos \new Lyrics { \sopTextC }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \RemoveEmptyStaffContext