Re: [LilyKDE] Re: [Frescobaldi] Bass and Electric Bass template, tab tun

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: [LilyKDE] Re: [Frescobaldi] Bass and Electric Bass template, tab tunings support
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:06:32 -0500

Editorially, I prefer the treble_8 clef as well, but I think it's safe to say that most readers (to the extent they notice at all) are more accustomed to seeing the regular "treble" and "bass" clefs, as opposed to "treble_8" or "bass_8."

Dave

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
David Stocker wrote:
By convention, double-bass and electric bass are notated using a standard bass clef with the understanding that the notes sound one octave lower than they appear on the staff. Guitar is the same way, but it is becoming more common to to use a modern tenor clef (i.e. "treble_8") now than in the past. I'm not sure whether the same is true for bass. Perhaps there is a bass meister on the list who knows better than I?

Generally, either is considered acceptable and which one you use is a matter of editorial preference. For completeness, it would probably be a good idea if there were an easy way to do either.

For coding guitar music in Lilypond I always use the "treble_8" for three reasons: 1) most correct editorially; 2) midi output sounds at correct octave; 3) translates to correct fret/string when using the same note-input variable for a TabStaff. From a guitarist's perspective, looking at the final output, there's really no difference between using treble and treble_8.

I would say the same thing for the bass guitar or for string bass except that to my eye the 8 below the bass clef in Lilypond's rendering looks funny. It's completely detached from the clef instead of hanging onto it. Looking in Gardner Read (2nd ed., page 56) I see that his example of the same clef shows an 8 that's detached as well, but it's much closer to the tail of the clef than the 8 in Lilypond's bass_8 clef. In fact his whole bass clef looks bigger than Lilypond's, something that's not so noticeable to me until there's an 8 dangling far from the tail of the clef. :)

Jon