Re: Changing Staff organization

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Changing Staff organization
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 19:20:58 +0100

El 01.03.2009, a las 19:08, Alberto Simões escribió:

Hello, Andrew.

Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
If you declare each of the musical voices independently, then you can
"\change Staff =" when you want to move that voice to a different
staff. It's documented under keyboards, where it happens all the time,
but it works for any voice and any type of staff. You can even move
the notes from the string basses up to the flute staff, but this is
probably not recommended.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common- notation-for-keyboards#Changing-staff-manually

Thanks for your e-mail.
It wasn't properly that (I think) what I want.

Basically, there is a portion of the music for piano (two staves), and
it continues with a SATB (with three staves). Thus, I need to "add a
staff" somewhere.

You probabbly need to re-organise the way the music is defined in lilypond. It depends on how you have it defined. If your part is

or
upperStaffNotes = \new Staff = "upperStaffOne" \relative c'' { << {\voiceOne g' f e f} \new Voice = upperStaffNotesTwo {\voiceTwo c d c a}>>\oneVoice

Then you'll need to redefine that to be

upperStaffNotesOne = \new Staff = "upperStaffOne" \relative g'' { g f e f } upperStaffNotesTwo = \new Staff = "upperStaffTwo" \relative c'' { c c c a }

So you can put them on separate staves.

Although, in the second version, assuming you have your staves named, you could actually do
\new Staff = upperStaffTwo {s1}
upperStaff = \new Staff = "upperStaffOne" \relative c'' { << {\voiceOne g' f e f} \new Voice {\change Staff = "upperStaffTwo \voiceTwo c d c a}>>\oneVoice