Re: Using midi2ly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Using midi2ly
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:45:20 +0800

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 06:57:22AM +0100, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> Which brings me to another question: why a version of midi2ly is
> packaged with lilypond and still I have to use convert-ly ? Shouldn't
> always midi2ly (and the other xxx2ly converters) be made compatible with
> the lilypond version it is packaged with before releasing any official
> new lilypond version release ? Or is that easier said than done ?

Ah, laddie, ya do nae understan' tha difficulties.  midi2ly has a
hard road to hoe, and make no mistake!  Doomed to remain a frog
forever until somebody gives it a kiss...

In slightly less "fake Scottish accent that turns into flowery
(but normal) English in less than three sentences" language, yes
this is simple.  It'd take about 30 minutes for me to fix it, and
perhaps 4 hours for somebody unfamiliar with the Contributor's
Guide and python.

*shrug*  But hey, nobody cares about midi2ly.  I'm certainly not
willing to spend 30 minutes fixing it.  If anybody wants to create
and send patches, I'll evaluate and apply them if they work.

Frankly, I think we should just remove every *2ly convert apart
from musicXML2ly.  Nobody wants to work on them, so they just get
gradually more and more broken over time.

Cheers,
- Graham