Re: left aligned tempo markings different over multimeasure rests

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: left aligned tempo markings different over multimeasure rests
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:02:24 +0200

2009/4/2 Paul Scott <address@hidden>:
> version 2,21,2
>
> When creating a score and parts I have not found a reliable way to cause
> markup like tempo indications to always appear at the left side of a measure
> even when a particular part has a multimeasure rest at that location.
> s1*0^\markup and \tempo and left-align don't consistently produce attractive
> results.  What are any of you doing to solve this?

In the Spanish list arose a similar issue. It would be fine to do this
using \tempo.

This hack makes the measure to grow making the tempo indication to fit:

{
 \compressFullBarRests
 \textLengthOn
 \tempo "Allegretto interminable" 4=96
 \once \override TextScript #'X-extent = #'(0 . 36) s1*0_\markup { "" }

 R1*19
 R1*30

}

But it is non-automatic. It would have been easier to put a long
markup full of spaces.

Looking further for a solution, we saw that the definition of textLengthOn

textLengthOn = {
 \override TextScript #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)
 \override TextScript #'extra-spacing-height = #'(-inf.0 . +inf.0)
}

now the problem is to find what type of object is a tempo indication,
and do the same. Later on we found that a tempo indication such as

\tempo "String" 2=90

is not an object, but rather a sequence consisting of a tempoText
object followed by a tempoWholesPerMinute object, then a
tempoUnitDuration and finally a tempoUnitCount. If we could calculate
what's the extent of this all, we could give the measure a sensible
width.

I'm sorry here is where my knowledge ends. Please share whatever you find.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org