Re: Quarter-tone notation with arrows

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Quarter-tone notation with arrows
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:41:23 +0200

Kees van den Doel wrote:
> A given alteration results in one specific glyph.

:-(

> Of course a -1/4 flat can be presented by numerous glyphs,
> anything you like, really, but you'll have to decide which one is the default
> and if you want another symbol
> at some point in the score (I can't imagine why you would want that) you'll
> have to override the glyph.

Well, why I _want_ it is for much the same reason as why, if you want
the note that is one semitone in-between C and D, sometimes you want it
to be a C sharp and sometimes a D flat... :-)

Another reason could be that if your quarter-tones are _approximate_
rather than precise, it can be helpful to know which of the 12 standard
notes you are bending.

Graham Breed wrote me a nice note suggesting defining some kind of
override or tweak to redefine the symbol on the fly, but considering it
I think I'll probably go with 'cheaty' definitions of pitch alterations,
like +/- 101/400 (or 1001/4000 or whatever seems most appropriate:-)