Re: Real World Usage

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Real World Usage
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:35:33 -0700

craigbakalian wrote:
Hi All,
        I am a composer who is using Lilypond exclusively.  I have used it for
a choir and piano piece, flute and piano sonatas, piano pieces, numerous
chamber works, and a full three movement trumpet concerto.  It already
is real world usage.

It's great that composers like you are comfortable with Lily! It's also true that there are composers who will not use Lily because of her complexity and geekiness. I have met more than one. It's also true that some aspects of LilyPond have gotten much simpler over the several years that I have used it.
        I don't get the topic.  Do you mean compete with Finale?  If you do, I
think you are foolish.  Leave Lilypond the way it is, with no gui-ed up
shlock.

We are close to having the best both worlds. Just as we have Unix/LInux which doesn't absolutely need X Windows we have Lily and we have tools like JEdit and LilyPondTool and others and conversion tools which allow people who are not comfortable with Lily as she is.

I totally agree that Lily should not have any GUI features and I don't think that many who maintain and improve her would want that either.

OTOH if tools like JEdit, etc. could develop into a full GUI for those who need that a lot more people would be served and it would certainly compete with Finale.

Paul Scott