[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Margins

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Margins
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:55:51 -0400

Hi all,

I don't know the proper english names for it [...]
I haven't found any sources in english, but there is an article in German on wikipedia:

Here's what Robert Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style" has (pg. 170):

    measure = width of text block
spine margin or back margin = distance from edge of text block to inside (bound) edge of page fore-edge or front margin = distance from edge of text block to outside (unbound) edge of page top margin (head margin) = distance from top of page to top of text block
    foot margin = distance from bottom of text block to bottom of page

Also, although he's dealing with text (not music) in general, it is important to note that all of his examples show a *LARGER* margin on the unbound [!] side of the text block -- this is, of course, the opposite of what most of us find intuitive (i.e., leaving *MORE* room for the binding).

Hope this helps!

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]