Re: (de)cresendi syntax

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: (de)cresendi syntax
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:20:19 +0200

On Montag, 20. April 2009 05:31:20 Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> On 4/17/09 11:02 AM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Am Freitag, 17. April 2009 schrieb Frédéric Bron:
> >
> > Hmm, no you are right. It seems that when using a music-function, the
> > scheme expression is:
> >
> >   (make-music 'SequentialMusic
> >     'elements
> >     (list (make-music 'EventChord
> >             'elements
> >             (list (make-music 'NoteEvent
> >                     'duration (ly:make-duration 2 0 1 1)
> >                     'pitch (ly:make-pitch 0 0 0))))
> >           (make-music 'CrescendoEvent
> >             'crescendoText "blah.."
> >             'crescendoSpanner 'text
> >             'span-direction -1)))
> >
> > i.e. the CrescendoEvent is outside the EventChord, while with a simple
> > definition like crxxx=#(make-music 'CrescendoEvent ...), it is inside the
> > EventChord:
> >
> >   (make-music 'SequentialMusic
> >     'elements
> >     (list (make-music 'EventChord
> >             'elements
> >             (list (make-music 'NoteEvent
> >                     'duration (ly:make-duration 2 0 1 1)
> >                     'pitch (ly:make-pitch 0 0 0))
> >                   (make-music 'CrescendoEvent
> >                     'crescendoText "cresc."
> >                     'crescendoSpanner 'text
> >                     'span-direction -1)))
> >

> > Does anyone have an idea how to create a function so that the return
> > value is inserted into the note event?
>
> Reinhold, I didn't see you get an answer.
>
> There are examples in the documentation for tweaks, which are how you get
> something inserted in a 'NoteEvent.

The problem with all these is that either
(1) The command needs to be written before the note, since it requires the
note as an argument:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/Documentation/user/lilypond/Adding-
articulation-to-notes-_0028example_0029.html

or
(2) it's not possible to pass a parameter to the \mycresc "text" function:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/Documentation/user/lilypond/Using-Scheme-
code-instead-of-_005ctweak.html#Using-Scheme-code-instead-of-_005ctweak

I haven't found a way how to define a function \mycresc "text", so that
   c4\mycresc "cresc."  d4 e f\!
creates a crescendo event assigned to the c4 rather than the d4...

All I'm able is
   \mycresc c4 "cresc" d4 e f\!   (using a normal music function)
of
  mycresc=#(create-text-cresc-spanner "cresc")
  c4\mycresc d4 e f\!

Unfortunately, the first is inconsistent with the use of \< and the future
predefined commands \cresc, \dim,\decresc, etc., while the second is not as
flexible as a function taking the argument directly in the score.

> I'm not sure if you wanted a way to get the CrescendoEvent inside the
> Chord, as opposed to outside the chord.  I don't think you can put the
> CrescendoEvent inside the NoteEvent.

No, I just need it inside the chord, so it is attached to this chord and not
inserted into the NEXT chord...

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --