Re: music expression explanation

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: music expression explanation
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:09:35 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:53 PM

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:31:14PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:13 AM

Eh?!?!  You want to tell people to put articulation and dynamic
marks after the duration, before they've been told how to do
articulations and dynamics?  Remember that the idea is to give a
general:
@var{pitch} @var{dur} @var{other}

No, you should.  This thread has nothing to do
with articulation and dynamics.  It is to to
with the relative order of octave marks and
durations.

Yes, the *initial* concern was over the relative order of octave
marks and durations.  My *current* concern is that if it's
possible for people to get confused over
c4'
then surely they could also get confused over
c'\mf4

As often happens with these threads, the initial
point can easily get lost.

If so, there's two options:
1) give a general explanation of pitch-dur-other.  In addition to
that order, explain that the order of "other" doesn't matter.
2) give an explanation of pitch-dur, then later on explain
pitch-dur-other (or maybe "note-other", or something like that)

I thought that #1 would be best, but if you'd rather go with #2, I
have no objection.

I think we need both.  Let's clear up the order of
octave marks and durations as I suggested in LM 2.1.2
with Simon's help.  Then, because the order in which
items may appear in a notation element is quite complex
this needs to go in the Notation Reference, if it
is to be anything like comprehensive.  Carl's
parser grammar will be useful as an appendix, but
something along the lines of the note Trevor Baca wrote
some time ago to explain the permitted order of items in
a notation element would be suitable, except I can't
find it now.  Can anyone locate this?

Trevor