Re: tablature.ly

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: tablature.ly
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:42:57 -0600

Neil,

Thanks for your input.  I think it's all really good.

On 4/26/09 1:49 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/4/25 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:
>> Hello tablature users*,
>
> Like Carl, I'm not a tablature user, so I can only comment on matters of
> coding.
>
> Some suggestions and thoughts follow below:

<SNIP>

>>           (font-size (- (* num-strings 1.5) 7))
>>           (base-skip (cond ((= 4 num-strings) 1.55)
>>                            ((= 5 num-strings) 1.84)
>>                            ((= 6 num-strings)  2.00)
>>                            ((= 7 num-strings) 2.08)))
>
> Can you rework these so they're not hard-coded?
>
> Imagine a user doesn't like the default staff-space setting for
> TabStaff (1.5).  If they change it, none of these empirical values
> will work properly.

Marc, there are probably at least two ways to do this.  The easiest one
would be to take each of these magic numbers and divide them by the default
staff-space setting, and then change to something like

(base-skip (cond ((= 4 num-strings) (* staff-space 1.03))

and so forth.  (1.03 = 1.55/1.5)  And you'd need to find the value of
staff-space in order to be able to do this multiplication.

The second way would be to try to define fundamental relationships for
base-skip, but I'm not sure exactly how you'd do that, so I'm not
recommending it right now.

<SNIP>

>> calligraphicTabClef = #(define-music-function (parser location tuning)
>> (pair?)
>>   #{
>>      \revert TabStaff.Clef #'stencil
>>      \set TabStaff.stringTunings = $tuning
>>   #})
>
> On a general note, I'd prefer to keep the string tunings separate from
> setting the clef.  To set the traditional tab clef, we have the
> command \clef tab, so it would be nice to be able to set the modern
> style using e.g. \clef moderntab without having to use a new function.

I'd also like to do that.  But I don't know how to help Marc do it.  Neil,
if you can help him figure it out, I'd appreciate it.

There are two issues that I can't address:

1) I wasn't able to figure out how to get stringTunings in a music function
or a markup function.   How do we do that?

2) I'm not sure how to use a markup, instead of a glyph, as a clef without
redefining the 'stencil property, and I don't know how to redefine the
'stencil property by means of  a \clef cleftype command.  If you can show us
how to do that, it would be really helpful.

Thanks for your help and insight,

Carl

Marc,

Can you revise your code according to Neil's recommendations and make me a
new patch?

Thanks,

Carl