Re: Chord Names Tweak

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Chord Names Tweak
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 17:24:02 -0600

Jonathan,

On 5/2/09 2:23 PM, "Jonathan Townes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Does anyone have suggestions for tweaking the position of accidental in
> chord names. For example, the flat sign in in the chord name Ab? I
> find in the default Lilypond setting the flat symbol is too big and
> too low on the base line.
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

Unfortunately, this is not an easy tweak, because there is no property in
the chord-name-interface that allows control of this (the chord-name
functionality of LilyPond is in need of a major rewrite; I hope to get to it
this summer, but we'll see).

If I were going to try it, I'd alter scm/chord-name.scm.  In that file,
you'll find

(define-public (alteration->text-accidental-markup alteration)

  (make-smaller-markup
   (make-raise-markup
    (if (= alteration FLAT)
        0.3
        0.6)
    (make-musicglyph-markup
     (assoc-get alteration standard-alteration-glyph-name-alist "")))))

To change the positioning of the flat, you change 0.3 to a different number.
To change the positioning of the sharp, you change 0.6 to a different
number.

In order to change the size of the flat (and not the sharp, too) you will
need to do some rewrite on this procedure.

In terms of making the change, you have two choices.  One is to make the
change in scm/chord-name.scm.  The other is to redefine the function in your
.ly file

#define-public (alteration->text-accidental-markup alteration)

  (make-smaller-markup
   (make-raise-markup
    (if (= alteration FLAT)
        0.3
        0.6)
    (make-musicglyph-markup
     (assoc-get alteration standard-alteration-glyph-name-alist "")))))

This definition will override the one in scm/chord-name.scm.

Hope this helps,

Carl