Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:43:06 -0400

Hi Mats,

This is unfortunately not a good habit and I remember several emails on the mailing lists over the years where people have got problems because they have used this solution. Since I'm getting senile I cannot recall exactly what the problem was (an immediate problem that comes to my mind is that \unfoldRepeats won't work).

Since I never use \unfoldRepeats, I've never run into the problem to which you're referring. But thanks for warning me -- I'll adjust my coding practices accordingly.

Also, what you do breaks the basic idea that the input to LilyPond should describe the musical content, since the repeats are in integral part of the music. Clearly, the musical meaning of
\repeat volta 2 {c4 d e f } g1
differs from
c4 d e f g1
You seem to view the repeat signs just as notational embellishments, which I don't agree with.

I (also) don't view the repeat signs just as notational embellishments -- I've simply divided the notational content into two sections, called 'global' and 'notes', which are [always] recombined into a single musical expression for usage (output/MIDI/etc).

Would you also suggest that putting (e.g.) the time signatures in a global is somehow turning them into "notational embellishments"?

On the other hand, for the lyrics, it probably solves the original typesetting problems to just remove the \repeat and \alternative from the lyrics.

As I suggested in my second email to Tim!  ;)

Still I don't find that a completely satisfactory solution.

My least favourite solution is one where I have to do more work in order to maintain/modify the piece. Embedding volta structures inside each Staff and Lyric (and ...) in a 30-stave piece for organ, orchestra, and choir would *almost certainly* lead to that situation.

Cheers,
Kieren.