Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment

From: Julian
Subject: Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:13:24 +0000 (UTC)

Marc Hohl <marc <at> hohlart.de> writes:

> [ok, the mail was too big, I removed the attached pdf output]
> I attach the latest version of tablature.ly together with a test file.
> Please have a look at it and reply any corrections/improvements/changes
> /etc.
> before I will send patches to Carl.
>
> Remember that you have to add
>
> (define-public (add-new-clef clef-name clef-glyph clef-position
> octavation c0-position)
>    "Append the entries for a clef symbol to supported clefs and
> c0-pitch-alist"
>    (set! supported-clefs
>          (acons clef-name (list clef-glyph clef-position octavation)
> supported-clefs))
>    (set! c0-pitch-alist
>          (acons clef-glyph c0-position c0-pitch-alist)))
>
> into scm/parser-clef.scm (for now, I think it will be part of the next
> release).
>
> tablature.ly provides:
>
> 1) two commands to switch between tablature notation with and without stems
> 2) a sans serif tab clef
> 3) a double stemmed half note (of course only when stems are enabled)
> 4) fret numbers that are 'tied to' are now (mostly) invisible.
> 5) commands for palm mute and dead notes are available
> 6) glissando lines in tablature have now the right slope when sliding from
> higher to lower frets.
>
> Greetings
>
> Marc

Hello Marc,

Well at first, english is no my native lang, so sorry for don't speak it well.

I'm the admin of tuxguitar (a tablature editor) project and now i'm trying to
implement some of these features to the lilypond exporter plugin.

But i'm having some problems, when i try to apply them on only 1 note of a beat
that have more notes.

I'll try to explain them with some examples:

* Dead Notes

I was able to build examples like:
c4 \deadNotes{ <c, c>4 } c4 c4

But if i try to set the dead to only 1 note of the beat:
c4 <c, \deadNotes{ c } >4 c4 c4

lilypond throw me:
-------------------------------
test.ly:324:20: error: syntax error, unexpected '{', expecting DRUM_PITCH or
MUSIC_FUNCTION or NOTENAME_PITCH
   c4 <c, \deadNotes
                    { c } >4 c4 c4
test.ly:324:26: error: syntax error, unexpected >
   c4 <c, \deadNotes{ c }
                          >4 c4 c4
test.ly:330:3: error: errors found, ignoring music expression
-------------------------------

So, am i doing something wrong with my sintax, or it is just a non supported
feature ?
( Same thing is happening with palmMute )

* Slides

I'm trying to use "glissando" to represent the slide.
but is there any way to tell lilypond to what note of next beat it should apply
the line ?
I mean when there are 2 beats, and one note of the first beat has an slide,
to one of some notes of the second beat, i need to set what note of the second
beat is slided with the note of the first.

I'm not sure if i'm clear, i'll add a simple tab here:
||-------7------------
||---5-/-7------------
||--------------------
||--------------------
||--------------------

On this example, there is a slide on the second string
beetween frets 5 and 7.

When i try to write this on the .ly file, i don't have idea how to
tell lilypond that it should be applied to the note F# ( string 2 | fret 7 )
as default it is applying it to the last note added on the beat.

Is there any way to set this ?

Thanks for all, I hope you could understand my english..

Cheers,
Julian