Re: going to the next level

From: Matt Boersma
Subject: Re: going to the next level
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:22:53 -0600

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Daniel Hulme <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 09:23:13AM -0600, Matt Boersma wrote:
>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Daniel Hulme <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've uploaded my flam functions to LSR as snippet 566, and it's awaiting
> approval. My functions include \flam, \drag, and \ruff and can be
> attached to any drum note.

Wonderful!  I'll keep an eye out for it.

>> (Also a "ruff" symbol that doesn't have to attach to a
>> snare, as when finishing a drag with the kick drum.)
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly: it sounds like you have
> a ruff on the snare drum with the on-the-beat note being on the kick
> drum instead.

Yes, that's it exactly.  Maybe I explained it poorly, but it's not
uncommon in rock and jazz drumming, at least in my limited experience.
 Sometimes the quick snare bounces are considered the "ruff," while
following them with a single accented snare note from the opposite
hand makes it a "drag."  The terminology isn't perfectly consistent
between Vic Firth, Modern Drummer, and the Percussive Arts Society
unfortunately.

A pair of grace notes would do the trick notation-wise, but last time
I tried I ran into layout problems.  Again, I'm fairly new both to
drumming and to lilypond, so I'll give it another go and probably find
success this time.