Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:10:40 -0600

On 5/29/09 2:05 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:
>> [...]
>>
>> Here's one way to do it:
>>
>> deadNote =
>> #(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
>>     (set! (ly:music-property note 'tweaks)
>>           (acons 'stencil ly:note-head::print
>>            (acons 'glyph-name "2cross"
>>             (acons 'style 'special (ly:music-property note 'tweaks)))))
>>     note)
>>
>> {
>>   <f\4 \deadNote f'\1>
>> }
>>

> There is some drawback/difference: the crosses are drawn without
> whiteout, so they look different. Is there a way to change this?

Yes.  Change the stencil so that it is a composite stencil.

>> Marc, feel free to add this to tablature.ly if you want to.
>>
> How should we call this? It should be clear that
> \deadNotes works as expected, and the new function is meant
> to be used inside chord constructs  only.
> \chordNoteDeadNote sounds a bit strange ...

I would recommend \deadNote, since it only applies to the next note.

> The matching case for \palmMute, namely
> \chordNotePalmMute seems to be ok for me.

I haven't reviewed the code carefully, but I think that \palmMute should
apply only to the next note, and \palmMuteOn should change all notes to palm
mute notes, or \palmMuteNotes could apply to a whole music expression.

> Or just simply use \chordDeadNote /  \chordPalmMute ?

I don't like the \chord* notation because they aren't limited to use in
chords.  They will work for any single note, won't they?

Thanks,

Carl