Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Thomas
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:24:52 +0200

I was just brainstorming, I don`t expect anybody to implement that :-)
 ... I just thought, if music (as long as it's not abstract) follows some
basic principles, why this is not reflected in the chord naming sometimes.

Slash Chords are a good example ... they are a good, easily readable
instruction what notes to play, but they don't reflect the harmonic function
of the chord.
I'm sure an illiterate gypsy guitarist could improvise very well over that
Pat Martino song, because he recognizes the tonic or dominat character of
that chord by ear...
that is the underlying harmonic function ... although he shouldn't be able
to do that, because slash chords are considered modern, sophisticated,
difficult....

Lets say, that Martino song has a key and a tonic, and the harmony moves in
a chain of fifth, half- and whole-tones towards oe away from that tonic,
then the  Dbmin/D
very likely has a dominant or tonic finction within this chain (depending on
the rest of this song) and could be named after this function ... but that
would be more difficult to read probably.

Don't let me be misunderstood... thats just brainstorming about naming jazz
chords in general (and how chord names sometimes obscure whats going on
harmonically) ... to implement something like this
would be very difficult, I guess ... I'm only starting to work with lilypond
and didn't want to introduce overambitiuos goals. I think what you are
planning to do is very valuable and does not need a deep discussion about
harmony etc.
cheers
thomas

.