Re: Trouble with staff group bracket including piano staff

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Trouble with staff group bracket including piano staff
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:25:45 +0200

2009/6/15 Qian Li <address@hidden>:
> 1. How do I make the percussion staves Percb, Percd, and Percf two- or
> single-line instead of five-line? I tried \new DrumStaff \with in the \new
> Voice blocks but it only made extra blank staves at the bottom.

This works for me:

Percb =  \new DrumStaff \with {
      \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1
  }
  {  \set Staff.instrumentName = "Percb     "
    c2 b a1
    \bar "|."
  }

You shouldn't try to put a new Staff inside a new Voice, that doesn't
make sense.

> 2. How do I change the StaffGroup bracket to include only the six percussion
> staves?

Not possible with this technique you are using:

  \new StaffGroup \keepWithTag #'score \music

where \music contains all the definitions including \new Staff etc.

The StaffGroup block puts a bracket over the new staves you declare
inside of it. Once you have put everything into a group, it's
impossible to put back some of them outside it.

> 3. How do I add piano braces to the left of the piano staves?

Just open a new GrandStaff and put a pair of new staves inside it,
rounded by << >>

I think you should learn the use of \new in more deep, see

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Contexts-explained
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Creating-contexts

etc.
--