Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:21:54 +0100

Eluze wrote Friday, June 26, 2009 7:19 PM

Trevor Daniels wrote:
maybe it should be added in the docs:

I'll do that.  I'll also fix the documentation
to avoid misleading people in the Jay was misled.

i think the whole issue comes from the two lines 279 & 280 in convert-ly.py:
   opt_parser = get_option_parser()
   (options, args) = opt_parser.parse_args ()
which return the filename split at each blank if it is not enclosed in
triple quotes.
you can verify this by printing these arguments:
 print (options, args)

these two lines also appear in the other converting routines (midi2ly, musicxml2ly, abc2ly, etf2ly) and i have verified that midi2ly also works
when using triple double quotes!

i don't know if anybody could change the behaviour of this routineā€¦?!

Probably not.  Splitting at spaces is how the args are parsed.

finally IMO it's worth to mention that calling these routines with a wildcard is also working (as long as no blank is involved in your calling
statement):
 convert-ly -e *.ly
 convert-ly -e "myfiles*.ly"

this will convert all corresponding .ly files, even if they have blanks in
their name!

There already is an example in the manual showing the use of *.
I think that is probably sufficient.  Thanks for your help, though.

Trevor