Re: good rendering of PDF

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: good rendering of PDF
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:18:17 +0200

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 08:42:44AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> >From time to time, users complain that the display of lilypond PDF
> files with acroread or xpdf looks awkward on screen.  In such cases, I
> strongly recommend to use ghostscript itself to view the PDF file, or
> a wrapper program like gv or gsview.
>
> Have a look at the attached image: the left part shows the rendering
> result of a piece (compiled with lilypond 2.13.1) with gv (at 25%
> scaling, using gs 8.64), and the right part is with acroread 8.1.5 (at
> 58.6% scaling).  What a difference.

Interesting and strange! I don't know in de detail how these programs
work. The ghostscript version definitely looks much better. Will this
difference still be there on paper when the score is printed ? Or is it
just a screen issue ?

And what about other alternative PDF viewers like okular, evince, xpdf
(on Linux) or other alternative PDF viewers that exist (I just don't know
them, I never use Windows) for Windows?

--

Martin