Re: Note names above pitches

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Note names above pitches
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

Adam Good wrote:
> \aikenHeads c8 d4 e8 a2 g1
> \sacredHarpHeads c8 d4. e8 a2 g1
>
> This is really more what I'm looking for. But where are these guys
> defined so I can see what they look like? Background, I would like to
> try to work out some basic support for Hamparsum notation (old system
> for notating Armenian church music and Turkish music pre-western note
> style...each pitch has its own symbol, ultimately no staff necessary).

Adam,

You should download the source code. Instructions are here:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/Starting-with-git.html

If that's too much to handle for the moment, you can browse the entire
source, without having to download it, here:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree

Some spots where you can look...

The ly/ and scm/ folders come with LilyPond (look in
LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/). You need the source to look in
lily/.

   ly/property-init.ly - line 133
   scm/define-context-properties.scm - line 388
   lily/note-heads-engraver.cc - line l85

Do you want help with the Hamparsum stuff? If you post an example png
with a brief explanation, I might be able to help you get started. I
couldn't easily find any English language resources online.

- Mark