Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

There is an informative section called "Unpitched Sounds" on p.190
of Kurt Stone's book. Basically he says unpitched sounds should be
notated with x-shaped heads on an extra line (usually above the
staff) with a textual performance direction written at first
occurence, using opposing stem-directions or extra lines for two
or more types. Long sections with one type and nothing else can go
on a single-line staff.

Here are some uses mentioned by Gardner Read in his book "Music
Notation" (that do not repeat what I already listed from Kurt
Stone). To repeat something I've said in the past: In my opinion,
Kurt Stone is far more authoritative than Gardner Read.
- Mark

Woodwind Notation
p.351 - forceful blowing into a mouthpiece, indefinite tone.
p.360 - striking mouthpiece or bell with open hand

Jazz Notation
p.412 - wire-brush (percussion)
p.416 - plop