Re: Speed-up compiling

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Speed-up compiling
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456
Michael Käppler wrote:

> I'm "suffering" from enormous compiling durations on large files.
> With "large" I mean a file with about 250 measures and seven
> staves per system. The last time I compiled the file completely
> (without using showLastLength) I did it overnight,  since after
> one and a half hour Lilypond still was "Preformatting graphical
> elements..." (Don't know what's the correct term in the english
> version) I know that's my laptop is way too old to do such
> complex task quickly - (Athlon XP 2600, 256MB Ram, OpenSUSE 11.1)
> but are there general suggestions which help  to speed up the
> compiling process?

An hour and a half sounds much, much longer than it should be
taking. Here are some thoughts:

Maybe try using \pointAndClickOff ? I don't know if point-and-click
slows things down, but it certainly increases filesize.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Point-and-click

Also, you can temporarily comment out any instances of
keep-inside-line since it's a known time-hog.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Avoiding-tweaks-with-slower-processing

Is your computer slow with other programs? Could you have a computer
virus? Maybe 256MB RAM is too small. Maybe you could try an external
laptop RAM stick? RAM sizes of 4,096MB are not uncommon these days.

Hope this helps.
- Mark