Re: First Lilypond Score

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: First Lilypond Score
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:47:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: First Lilypond Score
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden>
> Date: Saturday, August 1, 2009, 2:26 AM
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:21:49PM
> -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >
> > slurs - I had a lot of "cannot end slur" problems
> early on, evidently
> > because I was trying to end a slur in a different
> voice (which isn't a
> > problem in Finale).
>
> This seems to be a sufficiently common misunderstanding.
> Jonathan: please add a @warning at the top of NR 1.3.2
> Slurs.
>
> > internals reference- I found myself going into the
> internals reference
> > way too often.  Of course this is a good thing in
> order to gain more
> > control over one's score, but a lot of it was wasting
> time, for example:
> > spending 10 minutes to build and test a macro to flip
> a tuplet position
> > when \tupletUp & \tupletDown already exist.
>
> err... are you suggesting that NR 1.2.1 Ties was hard to
> find?  Or
> that the link to NR 5.4.2 Directions and placement wasn't
> suffcient visible?  Or that LM 4.4.2 was misleading?

I read the LM in order and learned about \override and how to look up
internals before the commands.  Somehow the importance of the commands in
LM 4.4.2 didn't register until I saw the command index in the NR.

Next time I read through it I'll see if there's anything concrete that
was tripping me up.

-Jonathan