Re: PATH and definitions.ly problem

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: PATH and definitions.ly problem
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:30:28 +0100

Ralph Palmer wrote Saturday, September 05, 2009 4:06 PM

I haven't had much time to do much Lilypond work on my new-ish Ubuntu setup. I'd like some advice on where to put a generic "definitions.ly" file that I
want to include in most of my pieces. I'm afraid that if I put the
definitions.ly in my Lilypond program directory, it will be eliminated or overwritten when I upgrade. Any advice? If I put it in in a directory above my working directory (I have more than one working directory), how and where
do I specify the path in Lilypond?

Hi Ralph

I don't know if this applies to unix, but on Windows the standard
uninstall supplied with the Windows distribution does not remove
files added by the user to the LilyPond installation. So it is quite
convenient to place such files anywhere in the default LilyPond
path - usr/share/lilypond/current/ly is a good place on Windows.
They can then be included just like the language includes - no
path needed - and they continue to be available over re-installs.
Best keep a copy elsewhere though, just in case :)

Trevor