Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ^\times and _\times
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:19:56 +0200

address@hidden schrieb:
Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 03:59:24PM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
Something else I just though of, is that there isn't a shortcut for
setting the direction of stems that aren't beamed. It would be helpful if
there were a shortcut you could put after c4 to set the stem direction.
Maybe like ^| or _|

I think that would be making the syntax too "busy".  We don't want
to end up like perl.

Soomething like ^[ is fine, since we normally use [ and we
normally use ^ _ directions.  But inventing a new meaning for |
would be a mistake.

Another idea would be to have a means to define macros,
say like in TeX. This would answer the shortcut question minor
some extra backslashes. For instance, instead of ^|, one could write
\beamup or something like that.
Lilypond supports \stemUp / \stemDown already.

Marc

Such macros (without parameters) would tremendously simplify
lots of pieces of lilypond code, but with parameterized macros
it would even be more striking.

Denis Roegel