Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning

From: Torsten Anders
Subject: Re: Microtonal Helmholtz-Ellis notation in Lilypond: fine-tuning
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:14:07 +0100

Dear Hans,

On 10.09.2009, at 10:13, Hans Aberg wrote:
[...] I tend to think that ETs and Pythagorean tuning, quarter-comma meantone, and other diatonic pitch systems would be best notated by departing from them, and then adding intermediate pitch accidentals relative that.

A completely different notation approach might be more economic from a pure notation point of view (many have been proposed), but musicians including myself just had a life-long training in the existing notation. So, for those an extended form of the existing notation is more appealing than something that starts form scratch.

Strictly speaking, it depends on which music instrument you have. Mine is a 2-dimensional keyboard.

If your notation depends on your instrument then you devised actually a tabulature. They have their purposes of course, but being instrument specific they have their restrictions too. BTW: I can actually play HE notation on a Tonal Plexus (http://www.h-pi.com/TPX28intro.html), slowly, but I never practise :)

Best
Torsten