Re: orchestra/opera example

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: orchestra/opera example
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:09:20 +0200

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> ... ok, never mind.  My vote definitely goes for the opera.  Something
> like page 18.  That has plenty of "wow" factor, although maybe
> Valentin can suggest a later section with even more stuff.  Hmm...

Wow, I'm really flattered :-)

Page 18 does look good indeed. Haven't had a look at it in eight
months, and re-discovering it kind of made me go "wow" myself (not the
notes, who cares, but the scoring, the layout and the articulation
marks).

> maybe bars 19-21 (inclusive) of Act I?  It would be nice if there were
> more percussion, and perhaps even interlocking vocal parts.  Valentin,
> any suggestions?

Well, it depends on what features you want to show.

Page 22: large crescendo, cool percussion
Page 58: nice strings, articulations, percussion, voice trio
Page 86: nice strings, cool marimba stuff
Page 160: nice global crescendo, voices, and cross-staff piano
Page 254: nice strings, some percussion
Page 294: nice strings, cross-staff piano, wind slaps
Page 349: nice "contemporary" look (bars 406-410 are very large in
this PDF, but they could easily be adjusted to a 600px width)

> I shouldn't spend the time to flip through your
> entire score; there's too many issues with the build system that need
> my attention.

Well, there's always the option of condensing several cool things into
one fragment, but that would be awful from a music point of view...

BTW -- I don't think this is about demonstrating contemporary stuff --
but if it was, please have a look at Jose's PDF on
http://zepadovani.info/cantodiviso-grade.zip before asking me :)

Cheers,
Valentin

PS--  I've also begun writing a huge orchestral arrangement of the
Free Software Song, that could do the trick -- but it won't be ready
soon, if ever ;)