Re: website so close, and yet so far

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: website so close, and yet so far
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:59:39 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009 12:40:06 schrieb Graham Percival:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:04:31AM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> >
> > Wow, is this normal:
> >
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/
> >
> > This link points to the non-officially-published website's homepage???
>
> Umm... welcome to git from a month ago?
> Documentation/index.html.in  was removed with prejudice a few
> weeks ago.  If you're curious, I would encourage you to look
> through the git history.

Hmm, I must say that while these changes look good from a design-POV, they are
an absolute PITA if you simply want to look something up in the docs.

Previousely, you could simply
1) go to the docs page,
2) click on the manual and you are there.

Now, you have to
1) Go to the manuals page
2) look up the manual, which takes a few seconds, since a) their title is not
bold, b) the same size as the other text and c) it is written in green, which
makes even less contrast than the black text on the green background.
Furthermore, there is so much other visual clutter on the page that looking
for a manual name takes much longer now.
3) Once you have found your manual and click on it, there is another page
describing the manual
4) On the manual page, you'll have to direct your attention to the right side
and look for the format.
5) Click on the desired format, and you are finally there...

So, "quickly" looking up something is not easily possible any more...

The page is good for first-time users, but for anyone working with lilypond for
a few weeks already, things got more complicated...

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: The reason why I hadn't realized this until now is that I'm still using my
AJAX search in the manuals http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/, which I
haven't rebased on current master, since so much happened in master since
then). Any news on how we proceed with the AJAX search???

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886