RE: quit

From: Erik Appeldoorn
Subject: RE: quit
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:01:08 +0100

As several users have responded asking for feedback why I stopped with
lilypond (or criticism). Here's my 2cents worth.

During the last four weeks I have been restoring a piece. It has come to me
in several different parts. Handwriting, several voices just as extraction
parts. The publisher asked for goodlooking, editable scores. Which seemed
like a good point to start with lilypond. I started with the simplest piece,
a voice with organ. Laying it all out wasn't the problem. I am familiar with
programming, and familiar with other markup languages. From day one I ran
into trouble with notating what was asked. I have found the list very
friendly and very helpful. In the end all my questions were answered, and
all notating puzzles solved. But the fact I had to use several of these
solutions (or work arounds) in one score (or even in one bar) made inputting
very tedious. The last piece I did was a short piece of 25 bars, four
voices. Took me two days to complete. And although I can see that the speed
will get greater, at this point I'm only frustrated. I created all 10
movements in Sibelius, took me about 5 evenings. I have created the 4
smallest of them with lilypond, took me 20 evenings. So I take all the
blame. I'm just to slow. On the practical side the work just could not wait.

On the plus I found, good looking scores, very flexible
On the minus I found, very tedious, time-consuming and heavily relying on
work-arounds.

Hope this will give some inside. I won't say I'll never try again, but not
just now.

Hou je goed / Keep well,

Erik