Re: quit

From: Leonardo Herrera
Subject: Re: quit
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:13:30 -0300

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Erik Appeldoorn <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> On the plus I found, good looking scores, very flexible
> On the minus I found, very tedious, time-consuming and heavily relying on
> work-arounds.
>
> Hope this will give some inside. I won't say I'll never try again, but not
> just now.
>
> Hou je goed / Keep well,
>
> Erik

This is some good criticism. The cons you mention are, however, what
makes Lilypond able to produce truly good-looking scores, which is -as
you say- a plus.

I would add that your challenge is a tough one: to write complex,
non-standard scores. I remember you asking something regarding ties
between different voices, for example, and those are difficult to
express in text, but really easy to express using a GUI (press some
'tie' button, click one head, click another head, done.) So yes, in
your particular case, doing that in a good editor like Sibelius should
be easier.

(But I'm _sure_ Lilypond produces a better looking score!)

Anyways, I hope you manage to get around. Sibelius _is_ a great piece
of software, no point on negating that. But, in my case, I write
scores just for the fun of it, so I cannot spend US$600 just upload
free things to the series of tubes...

Regards,
--
Leonardo Herrera