format-mark-* Was: \set vs \override

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: format-mark-* Was: \set vs \override
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:04:46 +0100

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-alphabet

Following up a bit late, I know ...

If you look back at when format-mark-alphabet first appeared, you'll find I featured prominently (and ineptly :-)

I wanted the functionality, tried to write it and got into a mess. Somebody else kindly added it for me, along with various other features such as using bar numbers as rehearsal marks.

And as part of that, I understand that ALL combinations of "mark on its own", "mark in a circle" and "mark in box" crossed with bar-number, number, letter and alphabet were created.

I can't remember the scheme file name, but iirc they are all in the same file, if anyone wants to check, but the documentation should say that ANY and ALL combinations of mark and mark-formatting should work, and if they don't it's a bug.
Running the command "grep format-mark- scm/translation-functions.scm" in Linux gives the following list of functions:

(define-public (format-mark-alphabet mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-box-alphabet mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-circle-alphabet mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-letters mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-numbers mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-barnumbers mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-box-letters mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-circle-letters mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-box-numbers mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-circle-numbers mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-box-barnumbers mark context)
(define-public (format-mark-circle-barnumbers mark context)

The documentation in Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely doesn't seem to have been updated since these were introduced. I'm already 5 minutes late for a meeting, otherwise I would have fixed it myself, but perhaps some frog can do it.

    /Mats