Re: parallelMusic and repeat

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: parallelMusic and repeat
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:43:29 +0100

Alexander Kobel wrote:
> Federico Bruni wrote:
>> Even this (just repeat without alternatives) does not work:
>>
>> \parallelMusic #'(VoiceA VoiceB) {
>>   \repeat volta 2 {
>>   r4 g' c e ~ |
>>   c,1 |
>>
>>   e4 g, c e ~ |
>>   b1 |
>>   }
>> }
>
> Everything inside the \repeat braces is considered as a single music
> expression, so I'm not surprised if \parallelMusic does not even try to
> subdivide it.

ok, now I see, thanks.

>> I can't understand what you mean with "instantiating a \parallelMusic
>> construct for every volta and alternative".
>
> I meant something like the following:
>
> \parallelMusic #'(partIA partIB) { ... }
> \parallelMusic #'(repeatA repeatB) { ... }
> \parallelMusic #'(altIA altIB) { ... }
> \parallelMusic #'(altIIA altIIB) { ... }
> \parallelMusic #'(partIIA partIIB) { ... }
>
> voiceA = {
>   \partIA
>   \repeat unfold 2 \repeatA
>   \alternative {
>     \altIA
>     \altIIA
>   }
>   \partIIA
> }
> voiceB = { ... } % the same for B
>
> It's ugly, I know - but at least it should work, and as long as you
> don't have too many repeats, it might be worth it.

Thanks for the example, now I understand.
Yes, it's quite ugly ;-)
I was attracted by \parallelMusic because it makes easier to see and
modify the input..
I think I'll use it for simple things, but I'll stick to the old ways
for more complex pieces.

Federico
--
http://gnurag.net/blog/