Re: GUI

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:14:39 +0100

Il 18/12/2009 06:32, Jonathan Wilkes ha scritto:

LilyPondTool, Frescobaldi, Emacs and Vim are listed under "Alternate Input."  Since this
link is to the right of "Text Input," the implication
is that they are alternatives to text input, which of course is false: All the
information under the "Text input" link applies to these programs.

Maybe change "Alternate Input" to "Input software," or "Input programs,"
or "Progams, At least One of Which You Will Use to Enter
Your Scores if You At All Value Your Time and Sanity."

I can see your point.
In Alternate Input - except for Denemo and the list of software at the bottom of the page - all the programs are advanced or basic text editors: that is, they are based on text input, even if some are more friendly.

So I would see this way:
Text Input shows how the normal work with LilyPond is, and the title is perfect. Alternate Input shows which editors you can use to produce that input. So the title - I agree with you - is not effective. For most of the programs listed it's still about writing text.

I think we should separate text editors (advanced text editors included) from the GUI options. It would be more easy to see.. and more honest..

* Editors--> we put there first the advanced text editors (LilypondTool, Frescobaldi, LilyKDE) and then the basic ones (Emacs, Vim)

* GUI--> Denemo and the list of programs who can export to LilyPond format (we should move the command-line programs somewhere else..)

Optionally, we could add also:
* Alternate input--> this title is proper for the command-line programs listed at the bottom of the current Alternate Input page (xml2ly, midi2ly,..)

What do you think about that?

Federico
--
http://gnurag.net/blog/