Re: GUI

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:23:08 +0000

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Mats Bengtsson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> - At http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/learning#Learning, I
> find the formulation in "Read it": "read this manual in the same format as
> this one." very confusing.

I'm trying to explain the difference between
** READ IT
@ref{Learning manual}

** ALL FORMATS
@uref{../learning/index.html}
@uref{../learning-one-big-page.html}
@uref{../learning.pdf}

When you're looking at the normal online webpage, the @ref will point
to the same place as the ../learning/ split-html page.  If you're
looking at lilypond-web.pdf, the link will point to learning.pdf.  If
you're reading the info, the @ref will go to lilypond-learning.info.

I suppose we could just eliminate the "in the same format as this one"
part.  Some people might wonder about the "all formats" below it, but
I admit that the "...same format..." bit is confusing.

Alternatively, we could construct a monstrous @iftex, @ifhtml @ifset
big @ifclear big  type of section.  I'm not eager to go about that,
nor am I eager to teach a new contributor how to do it.
It could potentially be done with some fancy macro stuff, which would
need careful testing.

> - In 1.1.1 Entering Input, the title above the links to the OS specific
> information is "Viewing output" which is inaccurate.

As it happens, somebody (Mark?  James?  maybe even me?) already
changed this to "Producing output" -- we've had a few rounds of
editing to LM 1.1 after 2.13.9 came out.

> - In the first sentence of 1.1.1, why not mention the PDF format: "... to
> produce a PDF file which can be printed ..."?

Again, changed since 2.13.9.  Here's the current paragaph:
“Compiling” is the term used for processing an input file in LilyPond
format to produce output file(s). Output files are generally PDF (for
printing or viewing), MIDI (for playing), and PNG (for online use).
LilyPond input files are simple text files.

I think it's worth mentioning that PDFs can be viewed, since most of
the time that's what lilypond users do (while they're working).  :)

2.13.10 will probably be coming out in a few days; it probably isn't
worth looking at the 2.13.9 beginner docs in any more detail until
then.

Cheers,
- Graham