Cue with voices

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Cue with voices
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:52:29 -0700

>From the docs on quoting other voices:
Only the contents of the first Voice occurring in an \addQuote command
will be considered for quotation, so music cannot contain \new and
\context Voice statements that would switch to a different Voice.

Here's a short example:
\version "2.13.9"

violinsA = \relative c'
{
  c4 d e d
  %divisi
  %Explicit voicing breaks cue notes.
  <<
    {\voiceOne e f g f}
    \new Voice {\voiceTwo c4 d e d}
  >> \oneVoice
  c d e d
  c1
}

violinsB = \relative c'
{
  c4 d e d
  %divisi
  %This doesn't break cue notes.
  <<
    {e f g f}
    \\
    {c4 d e d}

  c d e d
  c1
}

\addQuote violinsA \violinsA
\addQuote violinsB \violinsB

asdfA = { R1*2 \cueDuring #"violinsA" #UP {R1*2} }
asdfB = { R1*2 \cueDuring #"violinsB" #UP {R1*2} }

\score
{
  <<
    \new Staff { \asdfA }
    \new Staff { \asdfB }

}

Why does 'B' work if the << // >> notation is just shorthand for
creating new voices? I'd much prefer to use the 'A' version so I can
have slurs and other things carry on easily past the divisi. Any ideas
on the best way to work around this limitation? Thanks.

-----Jay