Editing notes in a separate file

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Editing notes in a separate file
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:25:16 -0600

I am experimenting with methods to enter notes from a manuscript and produce several typeset scores, including at least
  • one that looks very much like the manuscript, for proof reading
  • another that is good for performance.
There will probably be other versions too.

Problem: the manuscript naturally has errors that need to be corrected for a performance score, to say nothing of editorial changes that may do more than correct errors. But I would like to make the production of performance scores independent of the representation of the manuscript. Data entry from the manuscript should not involve any musical correction; editing changes for a performance score should not involve any change to the representation of the manuscript (which has a lot of historical significance, as well as being the source of the music). Corrections to note durations are particularly troublesome.

I can build scripts to edit a *.ly file, say with sed, but I'd rather stick entirely to Lilypond and its tools. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Mike O'Donnell