Re: blocking midi output of included files

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: blocking midi output of included files
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:57:45 +0100

On 04.01.2010, at 13:19, Federico Bruni wrote:

Il 04/01/2010 12:31, James Bailey ha scritto:
That doesn't work. Think of it this way
fileOne.ly \score {...\layout{}\midi{}}
fileTwo.ly \score {...\layout{}\midi{}}
bookOne.ly \include "fileOne.ly" \include "fileTwo.ly"

The question is if it is possible to suppress the midi file generation when bookOne.ly is compiled. I don't think so, but then, I have little
problem just ignoring or deleting the unnecessarily midi files.

You are right, but still it's a waste of computer resources if each time I compile book.ly new (unwanted) midi files are generated.

So to me it's a *CPU and speed issue* (not a problem of unwanted files in my directory).

It would be great if we could have a command which tells LilyPond:
"do not create midi files even though you see a \midi block somewhere". This is non-sense in normal situations but it would be useful in the mentioned example. If this feature is missing (ot there's not any turnaround), do you think it's worth making a feature request?

Federico
Personally, I don't see the advantage. The midi file generation can be turned off in each file by commenting out the midi block. Alternatively, the entire \score block could be left out of the individual files and only used in the book file.