transpose help - piano staves

From: Avram Aelony
Subject: transpose help - piano staves
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:09:19 -0800

Hello,

I'd like to set up some ii-v-i voicing exercises for piano.

The transpose seems to be working, but it's creating a "score" of staves rather than what I thought I was specifying, namely 2 measures of right hand/left hand piano, followed by a transpose for 2 measures, followed by another transpose for 2 measures, etc.. all on exactly 2 staves. While I could just write this out, I'd like to understand how to get \transpose to do the job.

(see attached image)

What am I doing wrong?

%{
 Voicings ii-v
%}

\version "2.12.2" % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond versions.
\header { }

    rh = \relative c'' {
                \key c \major
                \time 4/4
                | <a e' a>2 <a e' a>
                | <g d 'g>1

    } % end relative rh

    lh = \relative c' {

                \key c \major \clef "bass"
                \time 4/4
                | <f, c' e>2 <f b e>
                | <e b' d>1

            } % end relative lh

\book {
 \score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
   \new staff = "rh" \rh
                \transpose c d \rh
                \transpose c e \rh

   \new staff = "lh" \lh
                \transpose c d \lh
                \transpose c e \lh

   \override Score.MetronomeMark #'padding = #3
        \tempo 4=96

    >> % end PianoStaff

  \layout { }
  \midi { }