Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Community of professional LilyPond engravers?
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:25:49 -0700

Michael J. O'Donnell wrote:
I am pondering offering engraving services with LilyPond. I wonder if
there are people ready and willing to share information on the
possibility to make modest money this way.

I found one (slightly broken) thread in the archives:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-10/msg00482.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-11/msg00002.html

which indicates that several people use LilyPond for professional
projects, but they seem to be activities within a larger job, rather
than pay specifically for engraving.

One possibility which may be worth exploring, would be the use of a program like Audiveris ( https://audiveris.dev.java.net/ ), which is an optical music recognition system, as a way to restore print material. Audiveris puts out MusicXML or even MIDI, which you'd import into LilyPond and make elegant as desired. Many musical organisations have libraries which could benefit from being made digital, for example.

Another notion might be to look for contracts with local music schools: offer engraving services to composition classes and the like.

All the best in the endeavour!

Colin

--
When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
- Scott Adams, "Dilbert" Sept 22,'09