Re: dynamic and midi velocity

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: dynamic and midi velocity
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:44:30 +0100

2010/2/18 Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) <address@hidden>:
> I definitely talk about playing a keyboard instrument. It is quite easy to
> feel the difference between volume and velocity if you think about that:
>
> When you see p in the score, you play with less force on the keys,  with
> lower velocity.
> When you see ff in the score, you play with much force on the keys, with
> high velocity.
>
> But you don't touch the volume control in either case. I suppose :)

Yes. Also think on a loudly played record of the sound of a piano
played \p. Clearly it's not the same as a softly played sound record
of a piano played \f.

Most MIDI sound generators change its sound with velocity, so that the
per-note brilliance raises with velocity, making the instrument sound
more natural. I think that's why \p and \f should generate per-note
velocities.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com